Friday, March 16, 2007

I'm Scared

America is a nation made up of many descendants of immigrants. Even though most people are of mixed heritage, I think it's safe to say that Americans have a cultural heritage and tradition. Because in the grand scope of things, we're new Americans. Look at me, for example. What am I, third/fourth generation American? Now imagine years from now where 74th generation Americans will be walking around.

And what happens then? With the passage of time, will my descendants have no cultural heritage, with the exception of the weird adaption of Americana? Is it true that the more further and further away we get from our roots, the less identity we have? I can't imagine my grandchildren NOT using Italian American slang and making gnocchi and broccoli rabe. And I can't imagine my grandchildren NOT tearing up when they hear a bagpipe and getting all patriotic and shit about the beautiful country that is Scotland, and I can't imagine them NOT enjoying fried pizza and fried animal innards.

What is going to happen?? Americans will just morph into this one scary race of ppl with no cultural identity but what's on television. WELCOME TO AMERICA.

No comments: