Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Reviewing Some Books P. One

I recently read the quintessential biography on Zelda Fitzgerald, the aptly named ZELDA. All I had known prior to reading was that Zelda A) Was Fitzgerald's wife, and he was madly in love with her and that B)She went insane. I completely thought of her as the victim of cruel fate, some romantic idealized figure. Then I read ZELDA, and I was like, "Wow, this bitch is crazy."

Because she really was. I mean,she did go insane. But so did everyone else. What I mean is, Zelda in her youth reminds me of this girl I know who is not only completely insane, but a real sociopath. She exhibits the same behaviors. They both contain an inability to form real lasting friendships, they both crave attention, and are really annoying.

So all those traits irked me, and I hated Zelda, just as I really dislike this girl. Ok.

Then when she went batshit insane I felt really bad for her, and I saw how truly unhappy she was underneath all the partying. Scott and Zelda were both selfish and self-absorbed people, and their relationship truly can be considered

the best love hate relationship

ever

more later.

No comments: