Saturday, August 05, 2006

Books I Have Read

MY LIST OF SOME BOOKS SHE HAS READ THIS YEAR,
AND WHAT SHE THOUGHT ABOUT THOSE BOOKS

1. The Bell Jar- Wow, this is possibly the most addicting book I have ever read. You become totally immersed in it. I hate Sylvia Plath's poems, but this is one of the best things I've ever read. I took it out of the school library, and someone who had previously borrowed it left a cut-out of a gun in between the pages. That was seriously messed up. I like to think that person killed himself, jk.

2. Rosemary's Baby- I love the movie, and have seen it several times this year, so I decided to take out the real thing. I love Rosemary Whitehouse; she's so cute and unsuspecting until she becomes consumed with paranoia. If I were her, though, I would have killed myself and the baby; it was Satan, for God's sake. She's all like, "I suppose since it's half human, it could turn out good." Yeah, right. But still, a great book.

3. The Catcher in the Rye- I used to hate Salinger because he was a precursor to emo. Plus, how many times can you italicize and say "phony" in the course of two pages? Salinger is the sort of author who lives underground in a tunnel and only comes out to go food shopping. Still, Catcher in the Rye surprised me, and I grade it a B. Even though the man who shot John Lennon held this while shooting him, and it's every murderer's favorite book.

4. Franny and Zooey- Read the first two sentences of my Catcher in the Rye review. I felt like it had a lot of promise, but then got wrapped up in its phoniness and it's sarcasm and hateful characters. However, I was sick when I was reading it, so maybe that's why I was so impatient with these spoiled, rich brats. I read it a second time, a few months later, and enjoyed it more. Still, I'm not too crazy about Franny and Zooey.

5. Nine Stories- THIS IS MY FAVORITE. I love Nine Stories. I don't understand how a guy who wrote pretty annoying books could write great stories that kept me up all night. The story, The Laughing Man (or something) was so tragic, omg. omg.omg.omg.omg.omgzzzz read dissss jk. but really, read Nine Stories, because it doesn't dissapoint anyone. People hate Catcher, and F&Z, but everyone is down with Nine Stories.

6. Don Juan- I love Byron, what can I say? People saw this and told me it looked amazingly boring. But it wasn't.

7. The Claudine Novels- Ok, ok, I only read Claudine at School, but I still liked it. Even though Claudine was annoying, and sort of mean, I thought it was very funny. I didn't know that every French person was lesbian, male or female.

8. Barrell Fever- My introduction to Sedaris. I searched all over the bookstore for anything Sedaris, and finally found this. Luckily, my mom's car broke down in the parking lot, so we were stranded in the greatest place in the world, Barnes and Noble. It was a very cold winter day, so I bought a cookie and a drink and curled up in one of those big, overstuffed chairs and read this while waiting. I nearly shit my pants. I still do. People say that "Me Talk Pretty One Day" is his greatest work, but I'll always think Barrel Fever is.

9. Go Ask Alice- Dear, Lord. I borrowed this on a whim because it's such a notorious book, and quite frankly I wanted to read about some crazy hippies smoking pot and driving big ass buses. What I got instead was the most poorly written excuse for a diary I've ever read, and a bunch of right-wing propaganda, barely masked as a non-fiction, true story. Drugs are Bad. Don't do Drugs. Crack is Wack. I believe those things. But I don't believe that smoking pot turns you into a lesbian. And I don't believe smoking pot makes you rip your eyes out, claw at your face, and end up in a hospital. Whoever likes this book sadly has never read much. I just want to punch Alice in the face. As you can see, reading this fueled me to do the complete adverse of the supposed moral of the story.

10. Actual Air- DC Berman. I like DC Berman, he is the man.All I can say, I guess.

No comments: