Saturday, August 05, 2006

More Books, School

10. Les Enfants d'Terribles- Ok. I know this is written wrong. But don't get mad, it's late and I'm tired, and I'm an Italian student. Jean Cocteau is possibly one of my favorite people that I don't know, Bob Dylan being Number One in that list, of course. I think Cocteau was a really cool director, and I love the whole aura of poetry and artistry that surrounds him. This was unlike anything I've ever read, but I still enjoyed it immensly.

11. Jane Eyre- Obviously I didn't read Cocteau in school, although in an alternate universe we would have. Jane Eyre marks my first book read in school this year, and it was a disappointing way to start off what turned out to be a pretty bad school year. Jane Eyre is the most boring book I have ever read, and I love Nineteenth Century British Lit. It's all about Heathcliff, everyone. But I could never get into Jane Eyre. Ick.

12. Black Boy- Black Boy was alright. I wished we had read the Communism part, but of course we were told it wasn't "necessary" and we altogether stopped reading the book. Stupid.

13. Julius Caesar- Y-izzle. Shakespeare is cool as hell and you know it. I really enjoyed Julius Caesar. Of course, it helped that we watched the Brando film. :-)

14. Lord of the Flies- Ehh, it's ok. My friend hated it, but I thought it was alright.

15. Twelve Angry Men- More like Twelve Angry Yawns, even though I had a big role when we read it out loud.

16. Tess of the D'Urbervilles- We didn't actually read this, but instead watched the movie. I loved it. All the girls did. Poor boys.

17. Medea- I played Tom Cruiseius, the sterile friend. I read this last year, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I would have if this crazy tale of Courtney Love were fresh and new to me.

18. Poetry Section- Why are we forced to read boring Emily Dickinson and the quintessential Robert Frost? Why can't we read....Ginsberg, William Carlos Williams, Buckowski, Shakespeare, Byron, Yeats- ANYONE but Emily Dickinson. And why must all these poets be white New Englanders?? No wonder people hate poetry at my school.

19. This Other Greek Play- Forget what it was called. But this girl's brother died in battle, and she wanted to bury him, but the King forbade her because her brother was a traitor. It ended in three deaths. I loved it!!

20. Short Stories- How come I love short stories, but just never the ones we read in school?

moral of the story-- most of high school lit. is boring and shouldn't be read.

No comments: