Wednesday, August 02, 2006

In Other News...

I mentioned before that it's very hot. In fact, it's 107 degrees. On days like this, I stay inside. I really hope this isn't global warming. If it is, we have got to do something about it fast, because the sweater is my favorite clothing item, and I miss the winters that are so cold your nose is always red and you need to wear two pairs of socks 24/7. I wanted to see "An Inconvenient Truth", but never got the chance because I was out of the country (that sounds so cool), and also I already feel depressed enough when I watch The Daily Show.

I made a promise that this summer I would read more books than any other summer in the history of myself. So far, it hasn't been going so well. I can't find any books I want to read. Also, I managed to become a stereotypical girl and spend all my money on clothes at Forever 21. But the dresses are only $25!! However, I did find a book at the library yesterday. I was mad that they didn't have any Carter Family CDs, and I was even angrier that "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim" was taken out. Seriously, someone is just NOT returning that book back. Each time I go, that book is checked out. Anyway, I was texting, like I do almost all the time, when I noticed the signs that said PLEASE TURN OFF ALL CELLULAR PHONES. I didn't want to risk getting caught my the Asian lady, so I found a little chair in the back of the library and texted away. After I clicked "Send", I looked at the shelves to see what section I had come across. It was the short story aisle. I loove short stories. I found Joyce Carol Oate's selected short story book. I think it was called The Oxford Edition of American Short Stories, or something like that. Yeeees. So I sat down and read William Carlos William's "The Pimply-Faced Girl", and decided that I should check it out.


So I went home and read the Introduction in bed, where I decided that I'd read everything in chronological order. The anthology started with Rip Van Winkle, which is possibly the scariest story ever written. Washington Irving was such a freak! He was like the Quaker Oats Guy on LSD or something. But I liked it, anyway. I'm going to like figuring out which is better; the eighteenth and nineteenth century lit, or the latter years. Chances are, I'll probably like the older stuff better.

Because it's sweltering, I just remembered that I actually know someone who doesn't believe in global warming. ????? This is definitely proof that it exists. This morning, it was COOLER IN FLORIDA. NEW JERSEY WAS HOTTER THAN FLORIDA THIS MORNING. That is so very very wrong.

No comments: