Friday, July 06, 2007

I Was A Secretary

Worked the front office today, completely by myself. Picked up the phones and said, "Hello, this is the high school" and everything. Had to listen to a lot of parents speak on and on, while knowing in the back of my head that in three seconds I was just going to say, "Ok, well let me transfer you to someone who can help you with that". And although I was really scared at first of the big responsibility of, um, running an office, and a bit disheartened at this crazy psychotic estrogen-fueled PMS-ing wife of one of the teachers who wasn't too kind on the phone, today was a really good day. Mainly I just sat at the desk and read Angela's Ashes, which, let me tell you, can be summed up in these words: Babies constantly shit, mothers cry a lot, and fathers get drunk.
I was reading when a hot UPS guy walked in. He smiled at me and handed me the funny electronic thing to sign. I got up from my seat and reached out for it, but then wasn't too sure if I should get an adult to sign it.
"I don't know if I should sign it," I said.

He nonchalantly snapped his gum, and shrugged his shoulders, a smile on his face. "Nah, anyone can sign it, go ahead."

So I picked up the pen (only after dropping it and fumbling with it argh) and signed as the dude smiled at me some more. It was really kind of odd.

"So what's your name?"
"Laura."
"That's a good book you're reading."
"Oh, I know. Just started it today."
"Ok, well, thanks Laura." And he was gone. I watched him leave, and he was looking at the electronic thingy signature and smiling and snapping his gum. I think he had a crush on me or something.

***

I went home and took like two naps. I'm so tired from all the new medicine. I was really motivated to read more of the ghost stories from the book I got at the library, but um...Henry James, your ghost stories suck. I am tired of reading stories about sisters who get married and then the other sister dies. Oh, wow, I'm so scared, I'm practically weeing myself. Whatever. I skipped over that and tried to read Edith Wharton, and a house disappeared! Wow! Scarier by maybe a single point.

I'm just upset because I'm going to get my first paycheck umm next month because I guess July doesn't count??? IDK, my co-worker told me this today. And next month I'll be in Chicago when pay day comes, so I'll have to wait to go on Urban Outfitters shopping sprees and I'll have to delay buying all the books I want to read, like "Valley of the Dolls" and "Memoirs of Hecate County" and crazy books like that. Oh, well! I'm making a lot of money, I'm happy. I could have left today because there were only two people working in the entire school, but I toughed it out and made my thirty dollars. And met a UPS man.

No comments: